Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fifty Nifty United States

When I have a house, I of course want to have pictures hanging on the walls.  I mainly plan to use awesome photos taken by my brother-in-law to decorate our home.  However, I do know one thing I want that is not a piece of his work.  They make several pieces like this so I'm not sure exactly which one I would like but this is the basic idea:



When I lived in Dallas, I decided I was going to see if I could find a license plate from all 50 states.  I hung a list on the refrigerator, and as I saw each state, I would check it off and put the date I found it.  Check marks quickly filled the list.  I was quite surprised at how easily I was able to find license plates from states as far away from Dallas as New Hampshire and Washington.  I also found Alaska and Hawaii quite early in the game.  Every time I would find one that people thought would be impossible to find, I would tell my roommate Amanda as soon as I saw her each evening.

I started in October and had all but a few by Thanksgiving.  The state that gave the most trouble was North Dakota.  I even found a North Dakota plate in Alabama on my drive from the Birmingham airport to Decatur over Thanksgiving.  However, it did not count because it was not in Dallas.  I finally found one in Dallas but it wasn't until January.  It was the last one!  Now every time I see a North Dakota license plate I get excited... and I see a lot more of them than you would think.

Since playing this game, I still have the habit of looking at license plates constantly.  I should try playing it in Birmingham, however, I think it might take longer.  Although, like I said, I have seen a North Dakota license plate or two around this area so who knows.

No comments: