Thursday, March 21, 2013

Recipe: Blueberry Topping

One Sunday night when we got home from church, I realized we really did not have anything for dinner. It is always a fun challenge to go into the fridge and pantry and try to make something out of what we have. This particular night I decided breakfast for dinner would be our best bet. Pancakes are something I usually have the ingredients of on hand, and I had a huge bag of frozen blueberries I purchased at a deep discount. I always like having breakfast for dinner, and this particular dinner almost felt like we were having dessert for dinner!

I usually use a different pancake recipe each time I prepare them so I do not remember the exact recipe. I do know it was a whole wheat pancake recipe so they are a little more filling.

The thing I was most excited about- and what I believe is blog worthy- was the blueberry topping. Typically we use pure maple syrup as our pancake topper- my mom actually got JP a sampler pack of different types for Christmas- but I wanted to try something different + make myself feel like I was getting a fruit in... although we all know this isn't exactly healthy.

Blueberry Topping
thank you! my baking addiction!

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (note: I used frozen + halved the recipe)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (note: I did not use fresh)
2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon (not: I did not use)

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup water, sugar and lemon juice. Stir frequently, and bring to a low boil.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
Slowly stir the cornstarch into the blueberries, taking care not to crush the blueberries. Simmer until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla and lemon zest (if using).

PS. Let's be honest. This would be good on ice cream too.

No comments: