Thursday, March 7, 2013

My First Experience with the Pioneer Woman

I've heard all about The Pioneer Woman. However, until this winter, I had never experienced Ree. That all changed one Saturday afternoon when I decided to make chicken and rice soup. A quick search on google, and I discovered the Pioneer Woman had a recipe for chicken and rice soup that looked pretty good. So a quick trip to Publix later, I started my first Pioneer Woman recipe. Of course, I made a few tweaks and the result was quite a tasty meal for a dreary winter day... and for lunches throughout the week.

Chicken & Rice Soup
Inspired by The Pioneer Woman's recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup (before cooking) White Rice
2 chicken breasts
2 quarts chicken broth (I try to choose the kind that is MSG Free)
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup green bell pepper
3 carrots
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour

Preparation:
Cook rice.

Dice onion and bell pepper. Slice carrots into rounds.

Place chicken breasts in pot. Cover with 2 quarts of chicken broth. Bring to boil and then reduce to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Cook until chicken is done, about twenty minutes. Remove chicken from pot and shred.

In a skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Once melted add 4 tablespoons flour. Stir until thickened.  Add to pot of chicken broth and vegetables. Stir well.

Add salt and pepper to taste and stir.

Add shredded chicken.

Add cooked rice.

 Cook low-med, 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: