Friday, March 15, 2013

Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Ham & Peas

I first became interested in cooking towards the end of high school and early college. During these early days of my cooking interest, I watched a lot of the Food Network with Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals being one of my favorites. Since then I do not watch as many of the cooking shows but I continue to have an interest in new recipes. When I found a great deal on Rachael Ray's magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, in which I could get each issue for 45 cents, I decided to make a three year commitment to receiving the magazine. I look forward to it coming every month.

This month there was a recipe for Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Ham & Peas which intrigued me because I had never cooked prosciutto before. I gave it a shot and was very pleased with the results. Using the tomatoes instead of a tomato sauce created a light, refreshing meal. I also loved the prosciutto!




Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Ham & Peas
from Every Day with Rachael Ray- April 2013- page 102

Ingredients:
Salt & Pepper
1 lb penne pasta (I used about 12oz instead of 16oz)
3 tablespoons EVOO (If you don't watch Rachael this = extra virgin olive oil)
1/4 lb pancetta, guanciale, bacon, or prosciutto cut into 1/4 inch pieces (I used prosciutto because it was the leaner of the three I could find. I had no idea what guanciale is and did not even see it at the store. In case you were wondering, a quick Wikipedia search indicates it is "unsmoked Italian bacon prepared with pig's jowl or cheeks" which does not sound good to me!)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dry white win or chicken stock (I used chicken stock)
2 pt. grape tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen peas
Grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water (I did not reserve water).

While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until the fat is rendered- 2-3 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.Stir in chicken stock to deglaze the pan.

Add the tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst, 10-12 minutes. (I let it go for 12 minutes. My tomatoes did not burst so I ended up mashing them before they burst and it worked just fine). Mash up the tomatoes with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the peas and basil (I did not add basil), then lower the heat to keep warm.

Add the pasta; toss to combine. Top with cheese. 


No comments: