Thursday, January 17, 2013

You Ate What?

One of our friends has been talking about a great Chinese restaurant that he said is the most authentic Chinese restaurant he has ever been too. JP was all ears and wanted to go. So one night a group of us went to Red Pearl. It is a restaurant attached to an Oriental Market. This is the place the Chinese come to grocery shop. We definitely were in the minority! Our friend was correct... it is the most authentic Chinese restaurant I've ever been.

JP branched out a little and ordered Sizzling Pork Instestine Szechuan Style. He apparently had had Menudo before (the Mexican preparation of intestines). He said he wasn't really that good but he said he wanted to get something he could not get anywhere else so intestine it was.

I asked our waiter, "Do a lot of people order this?" He responded,  "Oh yes but usually only Chinese people."


JP knew that the dish included tofu. There were some large dark red/black pieces which JP assumed was tofu.
JP: I've never seen black tofu.
Waiter: That is not tofu. It's blood.


JP did not finish his dish but I suppose it was an adventure.

Note: Everyone else got less adventure dishes, and it was really good!

No comments: