Friday, June 28, 2013

Recipe: Greek Pita Pizzas

Monday's are really busy for both JP and me. After work, I head for my workout class, and JP heads to play basketball with church. I typically get home about an hour before him so am in charge of dinner. After a full day of work followed by a hard workout, I am usually starving but have no desire to spend time in the kitchen. Therefore, I am always on the lookout for quick, easy recipes.

One of my favorite blogs, Annie's Eats, has come through we a good Monday night option with her Greek Pita Pizzas.
------------------------------
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for brushing
4 pitas (I usually choose the whole wheat)
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar (I had never purchased this before. It is actually really cheap)
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano (or ½ tsp. dried) (I use dried)
½ small red onion, halved and sliced thin
½ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped (or sliced black olives) (I use kalamata)
¾ cup grape tomatoes, halved (I never measure these)
½ cup hummus (I never measure this either. I just use a spoonful on each pita)
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Again I never measure this. I just sprinkle a good bit on each pita)
½ cup crumbled feta (Our seeing a trend that I don't measure? Again I just sprinkle what I think is enough of each pita)
Tzatziki sauce, for serving (I've never used this)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 475˚ F.  Lightly brush both sides of the pita with olive oil.  Arrange the pita on a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes or until light golden.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the vinegar with 2 tablespoons of the oil and the oregano.  Season with salt and pepper, and whisk to blend.  Add the onion, olives and tomatoes to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing.

Spread about 2 tablespoons (or a big spoonful) of the hummus over each pita.  Sprinkle the mozzarella over the pita, dividing it evenly between the four.  Layer each with a quarter of the vegetable mixture.  Top with the crumbled feta.  Bake once more until the vegetables have softened and the cheese has melted, about 6-8 minutes.  Top as desired with tzatziki sauce and serve immediately.
------------------------------
I wasn't sure how the hummus would taste as I had never had warm hummus. It was actually really good! These pitas are very flavorful! And, although they do not have meat, JP has approved them. Plus, they reheat really well in the toaster oven.




No comments: