Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How to Meet the Neighbors 101

If I was to write a book entitled How to Meet the Neighbors 101, it would include one sentence Get a Puppy.

JP and I have lived in this house for almost two years. During these two years we have gone on probably 3-4 walks a week. Other than saying hello in passing, we had not gotten to know any of the neighbors- other than the ones that live right next to us.

That all changed when we got Zoe.

The neighbor who lives directly behind us who we never saw before will come into our yard to play with Zoe. Now when we go on a walk with her, people walk down to the street from their yards to meet her. When we see other walkers they stop to greet her. Children call her into their yard and chase her around. As we approach people I frequently hear people say, "Oh here comes Zoe!"

She is definitely more popular than either of us!

As a result, we have gotten to know these people which has been fun. Growing up, I was so used to knowing people in the neighborhood, so it was hard for me not to know people. Granted we don't know them well, but it is better than just a smile or hello! We are meeting so many people that JP and I have a little notebook where we write peoples names because we are likely to forget. 

So, if you are wondering how to get to know people in the neighborhood... get a puppy!

Note: This is before her haircut last week. Her hair is much shorter now! She is still a cutie though.

No comments: