Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recipe: Zucchini, Black Bean, and Rice Skillet

My sister originally pinned this recipe on Pinterest.  I then repinned it and eventually made it.  Sarah and her friend actually came over while I made it.  Sarah then decided to make it as well.

We both loved it so much! Four reasons:
A) It is healthy B) It is really fast (I who never can make things in 30 minutes definitely did) C) It is really flexible D) Makes enough for leftovers/reheats well


Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet

1 tablespoon olive oil (I rarely actually measure- just but a little in the pan)
1 sliced zucchini (You can use squash instead or in addition to)
1 diced bell pepper (Whatever color you like works. I've used a different color each time I've made this)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
Note: The original recipe calls for fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic.  I usually just use plain diced tomatoes and add a little pepper and garlic.
3/4 cup water
1 cup instant or minute rice (I use brown rice)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Directions
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
Add zucchini and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally
Add drained beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to boil.
Add rice; stir well
Cover; remove from heat or turn to low. Let sit until rice is down/excessive water is gone (a few times I have had to drain a tablespoon of water or so off)
Once done, add cheese

Flexibility
Try it with some feta cheese instead of cheddar cheese. My sister experimented with that and it was so good.

JP must have meat to count something as a meal. This is SO easy to add meat to.  I used some frozen shrimp and it didn't add any time to the process. You could also use chicken or... be creative!

On another note
This website is new to me but I was just looking around and they seem to have some good quick recipes.  Plus, if you type in your zip code it will tell you which items in the recipe are on sale in your area and where!  You can even tell it to just tell you items on sale at the grocery store you normally shop.

1 comment:

Laurel Smith said...

Thanks for posting! I am going to try this this week!