Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In this post, I mentioned that JP would not consider a dinner an acceptable meal if it did not include meat.  Well I set out to prove this statement wrong, and I was a success.  This meal was incredibly flavorful and neither of us missed having meat on our plate.

JP commented several times how much he liked these Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish and Avocado Cream Sauce.  When he had cleaned his plate he stated, "My meal is gone, but I want some more."



Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish and Avocado Cream Sauce
followed this recipe from Annie's Eats-with a few modifications.


Ingredients
For the patties:

1 15oz. can black beans
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 chipotle in adobo, diced
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

For the corn relish:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
1/2 clove garlic
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (I didn't measure-just guessed)
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the avocado cream sauce:
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste


 Directions
Black Bean Patties
1. Place about half of the black beans into a food processor (what we use) with 1/2 bell pepper, egg, oregano, cumin, and chipotle.  Process until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, lightly mash the remaining black beans. Stir these black beans along with the remaining bell pepper and the onion into the smooth black bean mixtures.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3.  Stir breadcrumbs into mixture a little at a time mixing lightly.  The mixture should now be able to be formed into a ball.
4. Chill for 30 minutes - move on and make corn relish and avocado cream sauce while it chills.
5.  Form the bean mixture into patties (I got 5 patties).  Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the patties in batches, cooking until lightly browned and firm- about 3-4 minutes/side.

Corn Relish
1. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add corn to pan and saute briefly until lightly browned 2-3 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for another minute or so.
2. Transfer to bowl.  Stir in tomato, lime juice, and cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Avocado Cream Sauce
1.  Combine all ingredients into bowl of food processor.  Process until completely smooth.


Plating it...
I gave JP three patties and me two.  Once you place the patties on a plate, top with corn relish followed by avocado cream sauce.



I will say that this meal did take some time to make, but I think it will take much less time the next time I make it.  Everything always seems to take a while the first go around.  Additionally, I did not know how the recipe was going to go over, so I made less than the original recipe called for- hence only 5 patties.  So, I do not know how leftover would reheat.  I did have leftover corn relish which was just as good the next day in a quesadilla.

No comments: