Wednesday, January 12, 2011

You are my fire...

This past weekend consisted of what will be one of my favorite days of the year and one that will be one of my least favorite days.  Let's start with my favorite.

Last year JP and I went to our first Twelve Night celebration. I loved it and was so excited for it to come around again this year.  Thankfully, this year I remembered to bring my camera so I could show you what we were up to.


Yep, we were burning Christmas trees.  It is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  I mean I'd always heard how terrible a Christmas tree fire can be in a house, but I never imagined how quickly the catch on fire and how incredible large the flames are!  It was so cool that I got my sister to come with us this year.


There were probably about 30 people there, and we ended up with at least 20 trees if not more.  JP definitely got involved in putting the trees on the fire and really took charge.


Yes it was cold outside but as soon as the tree caught flame you could really feel the heat.  Last year I wore tennis shoes and my feet froze.  But this year, I wore Uggs (ok fake ones) and they were completely fine.


So far, these pictures make it look like a normal ol' bonfire.  But no, these flames get SO high.  please notice the height of the people in relation to the height of the flame.



And some more pictures just in case you don't believe me about the magnitude of these flames...








The epic finale involved tying three trees together and putting them in the fire at the same time.  Here are JP, Ben, and Corey (who can't be seen) placing the trees on the fire.


I did not get any good pictures of this epic flame though because I was very concerned about my husband who was preventing the trees from rolling off the fire onto the grass and down the hill.





That leads me to a common question.  Is this safe?  Now I'm sure it wouldn't win any safety awards but really the fire was very under control.  Trust me, if I didn't feel safe I would not have stayed.  We did have a "fireman" aka a guy with a water hose that would spray any bits of flame that happened to get on the grass but even when that happened it didn't appear to cause any safety concerns.
The only times I ever felt like we were potential visitors to the Burn unit at UAB was when 1) someone decided to jump over the fire, not when it was super high but when it was just getting started.  Yes that someone was JP and yes I freaked out, and yes a few others followed his lead. and 2) when JP was so close to the fire when there were three trees on it.  

So the simple act of burning the trees seemed very under control and safe to me.  Adding boys to the mix of course made it a little more risky but they did not get too crazy.


Looking forward to next year already!

No comments: