Thursday, April 5, 2012

House Update: March 2012

I felt like we did not get a lot done during March, but while writing this post I realize we got more done than I thought.

Sheets
When JP and I bought our king sized bed in August, I could not find any bedding that I liked so his grandmother let us borrow a set of king sized sheets.  I later found bedding but since it was winter I bought flannel sheets.  As March weather began to feel more like June, we quickly realized we needed to find some non-flannel sheets.  I did some research and determined that Sam's Club would have the best deal.  I went in expecting to spend ~$80 on sheets. As I placed the sheets in the cart, I realized that there was a small section of sheets on sale.  Sure enough, there was a set of king sized sheets in the color we need on sale for $45- in a higher thread count than the regularly priced sheets.  You better believe I picked those up and put the regular priced ones back.  Apparently the sale sheets were from their fall line- but to me it did not matter!

Blanket
On the same trip to Sam's, I got this super soft blanket for the living room. 


It really is the softest blanket I think I have ever owned plus it is really warm.  All of this for just $15.  Although I like this blanket a lot, it is a little warm for it now.  So, I'm still looking for a lighter throw for the living room that is more warm weather appropriate.

Door
This has been quite a project. Our front door was painted, and we wanted to remove the paint and stain the wood.  JP and his grandfather did a lot of work on the outside of the door in the fall, and his grandmother finished the outside later in the year.  This was a much more time consuming job than it seemed! 


Thankfully the inside of the door did not have quite as many layers, but it still was a job looming over us.  JP's grandparents were so kind to come visit us one Saturday and finish removing the paint from the inside of the door.  They even applied wood putty to fill in some holes/cracks.  Now it is ready to be stained. We are so appreciative of their hard work!


Table
Our big purchase of the month was a dining table.  We have not had a table since we got married as our apartment was too small for one, so we have just been eating on the couch for the past 3+ years.  After searching for tables, we knew we wanted to get one from World Market but we wanted to wait until a sale.  They always put things on sale... you just have to be patient.  One Sunday we were at O'Henry's hanging out, and I randomly decided to check World Market's website.  I discovered that they were having a sale on their dining furniture!

We immediately packed up our stuff and went to World Market.  It took us a while to decide which table we actually wanted, but we finally decided on the Tradesman table.  We weren't a hundred percent sure about it so made sure we could return it if we did not like it once we got it home.


Thankfully my sister has an SUV and was able to help us transport the table.  The table literally fit perfectly into her car.  We did put some of the chairs in JP's car.

After putting it together, we realized that we liked the table much more in our house than in the store. 

Of the two tables we were deciding between, this one won because it would be able to extend to seat more people.


We were quite pleased with our purchase and felt we got a good deal on both the table and the eight chairs. We had been pricing tables and it seemed like even if we found a good deal on a table we liked the chairs were always at least a hundred dollars a piece.  With the sale we were able to get the table for $318 and the chairs for $65 a piece.  That is a savings of 47% Since the chairs were less than we thought we would be spending we were able to get eight instead of six.  Not that we need eight chairs all the time but we figured it would be nice to have a times.



You also may notice that decorative piece I have on the table.  I got this from At Home and just love thinking of all the possibilities for the contents of the jars!


1 comment:

Laurel Smith said...

I LOVE your table and chairs!