Monday, February 28, 2011

Pillow Talk

Recently I decided I needed a new pillow.  I'm not sure what made me decide this, but when I realized I've never actually bought a pillow before because I was still using one my Mom bought me for college, I confirmed that a new pillow was indeed a good idea.

While I was at WalMart one day, I decided to run by the pillow section and grab one.  I didn't give it much thought, but when I got home I realized that the pillow was NOT going to work.  So after pillow #1 I thought, "no big deal. I'll just return it and get a firmer one."

So I return pillow #1 and spent a little more time picking out the next pillow.  I would pull them off the shelf, lay them on the flat surface created by a stack of boxes in the middle of the wide aisle, and rested my head on the pillow to see how it felt.  I felt super ridiculous, but please tell me how else I am supposed to test out a pillow.  Don't worry, I made sure no one else was around.  So, I did this a few times, picked one out, and left with pillow #2.

Well, at home on my bed, pillow #2 felt nothing like it did when I was trying it out at the store.  So, I returned pillow #2.

At this point I decided maybe WalMart wasn't the best place to buy pillows.  I knew I didn't want to take after my Dad and buy a pillow from Publix, so I called my Mom to see where she typically purchased pillows. .... Did you catch that... My Dad bought a pillow from Publix.  Who knew Publix sold pillows?  Well, apparently they do and the summer of 2008, my Dad bought one.  My Sister and I thought it was hilarious and had to take pictures of this Publix Pillow.



This pillow was everything you would expect out of a $2 pillow from Publix, and I'm not sure anyone ever actually used it.  Therefore, like I said, I checked with my Mom where the best place to buy a pillow would be.

She told me she liked to go to Sears when they have pillows on sale.  So, that was my plan.  I looked at pillows from Sears online and in the process found affordable pillows but also pillows that cost hundreds of dollars.  Apparently the price range on pillows is quite large... $2-$200+

Well, I never go to Sears (apologies to my sweet Granny who worked there for a long, long time and just retired) but I do go to Home Goods.  So when I saw they have pillows, I scratched the Sears idea.

I went through my process again of taking the pillow off the rack, placing the pillow on a flat surface, and putting my head on it (again I'm open to suggestions on a better way to accomplish this).  After testing several pillows, I felt successful and purchased pillow #3 (actually there were two #3s as it was a two pack).

That night as JP and I were chatting before bed, I determined that pillow #3 was like resting my head on a very poofy rock and that yet again I had to make a return.  At this point, JP stated, "Do you have some strange pillow fetish I didn't know about? Is it your goal to sleep on a new pillow every night?"  The answers to both of those questions was no.

I did make a pillow exchange Home Goods and came home with pillow #4, again a two pack.  At first I did not like this pillow but I forced myself to keep and am now pleased with it.

Recently, I saw an ad for Ikea mattresses which stated you have 90 days to return one of their mattresses.  If my search for a mattress is anything like my search for a pillow, we might need to consider purchasing an Ikea mattress!

No comments: