Monday, February 7, 2011

Recipe: Whole Wheat Pancakes

On Saturday morning, we found we were out of cereal, so I decided to make pancakes for breakfast.  I discovered a recipe that incredibly easy, tasty, and healthy.  I don't have any pictures... although the pancakes tasted good, when I make pancakes, they never look pretty.  So before you get to the recipe, make sure you avoid these mistakes.  My main problem usually occurs with the first set of pancakes I throw in the pan.  I am to inpatient to wait for the pan to completely heat up so it takes them longer to cook, and I end up flipping them over too early.  The subsequent batches end up pretty good though.


Whole Wheat Pancakes
This recipe makes 8 pancakes, enough for the two of us.  To make more, just double, triple, etc.!

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup 2% milk

Mix ingredients together.  Then spoon batter into frying pan.  I used a used a medium sized spoon and did two scoops per pancake.  I was able to fit two pancakes in my frying pan at a time.  Having a nonstick pan makes flipping really easy.  If you don't use a nonstick pan, make sure to spray it with nonstick cooking spray.

Some ideas:
  • Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the batter
  • Mix in chocolate chips
  • Add frozen or dried fruit (when you do this don't mix it in the batter, but as your place the batter in the frying pan, sprinkle the fruit on top of each pancake.  The fruit should stay in when you flip)
Nutrition Information
per pancake of the basic pancake mix:
76 calories
<1g fat
15g carbohydrate
2g fiber
3g protein

If you've never tried whole wheat pancakes, give them a try.  JP likes them which is always a good sign that they actually taste good.  If you eat two pancakes, that will be giving you 4g fiber which is an excellent start to your day!

No comments: