JP, on the other hand, loves meat. He often chooses not to have sides like potato or salad with his steak because those would only take up space that the meat should be taking up. To him, rice is a filler. Since we have been married, he has smoked boston butts, ribs, and brisket.
Typically, HE is the one who purchases these meats. However, he really wanted a brisket this week, and since he has started working he doesn't have much time to go to the store. So, yesterday when I was making our grocery list for my post-work trip, I asked him what he wanted and of course brisket was on his list.
Now, I have no idea what makes a good brisket. JP told me to purchase the one with the most meat and least amount of fat. Well, being the perfectionist I can be at times, I was really trying to get the one with the least amount of fat. I was mentally estimating the surface area of fat on each brisket. In my opinion, they all had too much fat! I called JP and asked him questions, and basically made the process way more complicated than it should be.
So, as I was about to give up, I saw this large male employee walking near me. I yelled, "Sir, can you please help me?" He walked over to me, and I said, "Now, I want you to pick out the brisket that you would buy if you were buying one." He laughed and started analyzing the briskets. He spent several minutes comparing the different options (which made me feel not so bad about all the time I had spent analyzing).
He finally made a decision, and I grabbed that brisket and headed towards the cash register. Once home, JP approved of the brisket, and we now have a crockpot full of brisket as well as a stock pot full of it too.

No comments:
Post a Comment