Friday, June 25, 2010

Frankly My Dear.... Gone with the Wind

AFI Ranking: 6th
Release Date: 1939




Gone with the Wind was definitely my favorite movie so far.  It is my Mom's favorite movie actually.  JP and I both remember seeing parts of the film when we were children, but we had never seen the whole thing and didn't know anything really about it.

Don't let the length of this film detract your from watching.  The 224 minute are well worth it.  Because of the length, it is on 2 discs.  We watched the first disc, which ends with intermission, one night and the second disc the next night.

All of the characters are very well developed in the film, which is one reason I think I liked the movie so much.  I got really into the story because the characters seemed so real to me.

I really think my Mom looks a little like Scarlett O'Hara.  Maybe it is just the hair?

This was my second film to watch that starred Clark Gable.  It was this second encounter with good ol' Clark that made me decide he is probably my favorite actor.

Mammy is the one character I really remember from when I saw the movie as a child.  Hattie McDaniel won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Mammy.  She was the first African American to win an Academy Award of any kind. 

Probably one of my favorite scenes involves Prissy.  I remember this scene from when I was a child too.  Prissy states, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies."

Gone with the Wind has many famous quotes, the last one of the film probably the most famous.  Actually it is number one on AFI's top 100 movie quotes.  It was quite controversial at the time. Now-a-days it would be quite tame!

Ps. I know these are not in-depth review of the movie but 1) I'm not good at that and 2) I don't really want to give any of the plot away.  I guess I am more interested about the history of the film and the actors/actresses and learning who they were as people.  I've actually been researching each of these actors/actresses and it is very interesting!  For example, Clark Gable had 5 wifes throughout his life.  His youngest child was actually born 4 months after he died at the age of 37.  And, Vivien Leigh (Scarlett) was actually born in India-her dad was a British Officer in the Indian Calvary.

No comments: