Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Oh the Places You'll Go... Santa Rosa Beach

For the second year in a row, my college friends and I reunited for a trip to the beach. This is such a fun tradition as we don't see each other much during the year due to leaving in different locations and busy schedules.

We all rode together in Brittany's mini van, which ended up being so much better than riding in two separate cars. We made a stop at a fabric store that apparently is a store those who sew think highly of. I realized why when just being in the store made me want to learn to sew. Every fabric they had was something I deemed worthy of being turned into a pillow, dress, or curtains. Note: Once we left the store, my desire to learn to sew disappeared. Maybe one day.


I had never been to the 30A beaches but was not disappointed. The beaches were just beautiful, and the water was so clear I could see my feet on the bottom! Our first view of the beauty occurred from the deck of Bud and Alley's where we ate lunch the day we arrived.


When we got to the condo- which was the nicest condo I've ever stayed in. I would def recommend it- we exchanged gifts. The year before we all drew a name and kept who we had a secret. Over the year (or the month/day before for procrastinators like me) we got gifts for our secret person. We had determined a price limit that everyone held to.

I had Brittany as my secret person. She owns a business- Birds on a Fence. I had my other friend Brittany who paints canvases paint Brittany's business logo on a canvas to hang in her sewing room. I was highly pleased with the way the canvas turned out. I also got Brittany a gift card so she could treat herself to a shopping trip just for her- something a mother of two doesn't get to do very often!


Blair had me as her secret person. She had just returned from Israel and included in my gift some bath salts from the Dead Sea and a cross made of olive tree wood. How cool is that! She also included a gift card to Chickfila- obviously one of my favorite places to eat.


I had such a great time catching up with these girls over the weekend. Even though we don't see each other frequently, when we do get together it is like we were never apart.


 Blair: She is responsible for setting JP and I up. When she visits our house she, JP, and I all end up sitting on our king size bed talking. I love it. I loved hearing her talk about her recent trip to Israel. It was something she had been wanting to do for years and years.


 Laurel: The first time I remember hanging out with Laurel was the summer of 1996. We spent the day at the pool and then went to a banana split party at her church. She also had Nintendo brand glasses which she convinced me she could use as a video game control. You know you are friends for life when she asks who her Freshman year CP teacher was and I can tell her.

 Brittany: I remember Brittany teaching me how to paint my toenails French manicure style for Rush one year. She always seems to be doing just that, teaching me things I should know how to do but don't. I'm pretty sure she also helped me get my hair side swoosh right for Step Sing. Note: I admire Brittany so much for her hardwork in creating her business Birds on a Fence. Did you notice the hats we all had on in the beach picture above? She made them!


Emily: She was one of my first friends at Samford. She can quote movies and tv shows like no one else I know. It seriously is a skill. On this trip she got points in my book for venturing out into the ocean with me pretty far out. It was a great chance for just the two of us to catch up.


Ashley: I have gotten to know Ashley more after college than during. I love Ashley's honesty. Recently she has started working for a company, Free Set which offers employment to women in India trapped in human trafficking. It has been cool to see her heart grow for this ministry.


Looking forward to next years trip. And, getting things for my secret person for next year! The questions is, who is it?

1 comment:

Laurel Smith said...

Haha this post made me smile! Love you friend!

P.S. I hope you got my name this year!! :)