In 2007 I went to Arizona and discovered what has become my favorite place... Oak Creek Canyon. Here we are then:
When Sarah and I were planning our trip to Arizona, I knew that Oak Creek Canyon had to be one of our destinations. Unlike the Grand Canyon, the hike is very flat since you are already at the bottom of the canyon. It runs along the creek and at times you even get to hike into the water. So fun! Not only is it fun, but it is absolutely beautiful.
So, when we left the Grand Canyon we headed towards Oak Creek Canyon stopping in Flagstaff for some Chipotle. Oak Creek Canyon is near Sedona. Our original plan was to find a place in Sedona to camp and then get up in the morning and do a long Oak Creek Canyon hike. However, it was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and apparently everyone wanted to spend their long weekend camping. The campgrounds did not accept reservations so it was first come, first serve. Apparently the campgrounds were full starting Wednesday night. So, no camping for us.
Instead, we spent the afternoon hiking Oak Creek Canyon. Although we did not get to spend as much time as originally planned, I loved every minute. It really is my favorite. Sarah liked it too, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Canyon was her favorite... more hard core.
Sarah and I ended up hiking by ourselves most of the time as Michael decided to go slow and take pictures, and Julie stayed back at the trailhead due to her dislocated shoulder, which she dislocated right before the trip. Bummer, right. But we were so glad it did not prevent her from coming!
After our Grand Canyon adventure the day before, I must say it was nice to look up and know that I didn't have to actually climb up.
Sarah and I had tons of fun on our hike and playing in the water. The only mishap was when I stepped in a huge ant bed... but we survived.
And this is where we turned around....
As we made our way back towards the trailhead, look who we found...
I'm ready to go back!
After our hike we once again tried to find somewhere to stay with no success. We stopped and ate dinner in Sedona at Cowboy Club. Sarah and I split an antelope burger. After dinner, we headed towards Phoenix.
No comments:
Post a Comment