Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Our Hawaiian Adventure: North Shore- Take Two


We started Thursday by heading to the North Shore. There are so many different beaches on the north side of the island, so we wanted to check out some more.


Our first stop was Secret Beach. Thanks to the guidebooks, we found it. The GPS was no help at all. Once we found where to park we still had ~10 minute hike until we got to the beach. I think this was one of my favorite things about Kauai- the fact that so many beaches you had to hike to. The hike was just beautiful, and I loved when we started being able to see the ocean through the trees.



 

Secret Beach was one of the bigger beaches we went to. Thankfully there were trees along the back of the sand that provided us with great shade. JP swam a lot while we were at this beach. One thing I remember is how hot the sand was! To get from our resting spot to the ocean, running was the best option.




After our time at Secret's, we again ate at the North Shore Market in the Chevron station for lunch. We both got burgers, and again they were both satisfying.

After lunch we went to Ke'e Beach which is the beach farthest west on the North Shore. This is also where the Kalalau Trail begins. Our original plan was to hike the first two miles of the trail to a beach and then hike two miles inlan to Hanakapi'ai Falls for a total of 8 miles. However, plans changed
 due to JP's ankle injury. Instead of starting our day here with hiking, we made this our final beach destination of the day.


This beach almost felt like it was in the middle of a forest with all of the trees around it.

JP found that this beach had excellent snorkeling. While he snorkeled, I had to check out some of the Kalalau Trail. This is the most well known trail on Kauai. It is actually an 11 mile trail that is actually incredibly strenuous. There is one part that you literally have to crawl across.

 

 I walked about 45 minutes out on the trail and then back. Just on this short part of the trail I saw such breathtaking scenery.  I told JP we have to come back since we did not get to do our planned hike. (I'm sure my sister and her friend Caroline would have goals of doing the entire 11 mile hike).

JP was on the beach down there.



JP's ankle would not have done well.



After our time hiking and snorkeling, we changed into dinner clothes at the facilities at Ke'e Beach. We then headed to the dinner I was most looking forward to.

It is the most unique dinner we had while in Kauai. The food is all locally grown, raised or caught, and it all tasted fresh and full of flavor. Our meal consisted of 1) dish that contained beets and carrots 2) butter fish over roasted kale, 3) traditional green salad that used Kauai greens that were different than greens I get at home, 4) Pulled pork over purple sweet potato, 5) Chocolate Flourless cake topped with mountain apples-- At the end of the dinner the chef came out and spoke some about the meal. The mountain apples were actually growing right near our dining spot. He saw them and knew he needed to use them. So that was the inspiration for the dessert as well as the table decorations.


What made this dinner a must do for me was not just the food but the atmosphere. Several large tables were set up outside under a large white tent. It was communal dining, so we got to sit with a couple from San Diego and a couple from Texas. I loved eating outside and having a 5 course meal brought out to me. I felt it was very relaxing! Plus getting to sit with other people and share stories from our trips was a highlight for me.


Overall, we had a wonderful second day on the North Shore.

No comments: